Saturday, October 22, 2011

Lentil Soup: A Favorite in the Palmer-Livingstone Kitchen

Bowl of delicious and nutritious lentil soup served with slice of buttered sunflower bread.

Now that the days are getting cooler, I begin to think about making soups of various kinds.  One of our favorites is lentil soup, so easy to make and so economical and very nutritious. I tend to make soup in big batches even though there are just two of us for most meals, because I can then freeze small portions and have them ready for a quick lunch or dinner.


Ingredients simple and inexpensive:  lentils, carrots, garlic, smoked ham hock, salt, pepper.



Rinse the lentils.  I use the whole package. Dice a couple of carrots and prepare two or three cloves of garlic. To these ingredients add 8 cups of water. (If I have chicken stock, I use half chicken stock and half water.)  I usually toss in a smoked ham hock for flavor.Salt & pepper to taste.

Rinse the lentils. 
Add diced carrots, ham hock, cloves of garlic.


Add 8 cups of water, or 4 cups chicken stock and 4 cups of water.

Bring the ingredients to a boil.  Lower the temperature, cover and simmer for about 35 minutes.

Cover and simmer.
This recipe makes 8 large servings.  I freeze, in small containers, all but two servings, and we have a quick lunch ready in a moments notice.  So good on cool fall days or even better on cold winter evenings.

1 comment: