Friday, October 28, 2011

Mama's Sweet Potato Pie Recipe

 
Sweet potato pie featured in News and Observer's Life Section on Wednesday.

Reading the feature article about sweet potato pies in Wednesday's N&O reminded me how much I like sweet potato pie and of my mother's recipe for it.  So I dug out the recipe from my recipe file, went to the Farmer's Market and bought some sweet potatoes and made me a pie.  I agree with the article that suggests that the sweet potato pie should become the official pie of North Carolina.  The sweet potato is already the official state vegetable for North Carolina.  A number of states do have an official state pie.


Recipe for Mama’s Sweet Potato Pie
2 cups, cooked, peeled, and mashed sweet potatoes
¼  cup melted butter
3 large eggs beaten
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
¼ cup bourbon whiskey (optional)
1 unbaked 9” pie shell

Boil sweet potatoes until tender, peel and mash them well. (I actually puree them in a blender to break up the potato fibers). Mix all ingredients together and pour into an unbaked pie shell (9 inch).  Place in a preheated 400F degree oven and immediately turn the oven to 325F.  Bake for 45 minutes or until the center of the pie is set.  Cool slightly before serving.  It is good warm or cold and can be topped with a dollop of whipped cream.  Serves 8. 

Boiled sweet potatoes.



Pureed sweet potatoes.


Sweet potato pie with a dollop of whipped cream.
 

This is a good recipe. It's not too sweet, and don't leave out the nutmeg (I grate fresh) or the lemon juice. I didn't have bourbon this time, and it is much better with the bourbon.  Mama never made it without the bourbon.  


Yes, I think sweet potato pie should become the official state pie for North Carolina.

3 comments:

  1. I agree! It's a lovely southern dessert and it was one of my father-in-law's favorites. He was from Easton, MD, a town with a southern flavor to it. I'll have to compare his recipe to yours, see how similar they are. - Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, of course Aunt Roz and Betsy would have the same sweet potato pie recipe.Don't ever leave out the bourbon! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I should never leave out the bourbon, but this time I had everything ready and just didn't want to go down and get some bourbon. I'm going to restock my supply though, because I will surely be making more sweet potato pies and I sometimes use it in pecan pies too.

    ReplyDelete