Sunday, September 11, 2011

Twin Towers in a Pasture

When traveling from Raleigh to Shelby I often go through Asheboro via Hwy 64 west.  A few months after 9/11/2001, I was on my way to Shelby, and I noticed two tower-like structures made of stones out in a pasture on the north side of the highway a few miles west of Pittsboro.  Someone had erected these to commemorate the attack on the twin towers on 9/11.   I’ve often wondered if this is a memorial to a family member or a friend who perished on that sad day, or whether it is to pay tribute to all the victims.
 
Twin towers in a pasture, Chatham County, NC.

Everyone remembers exactly where they were that day and how they learned about the attack.  I was on my way to NC State University where my younger son was a student.  He had taken the bus in for an eight o’clock class, and I was scheduled to pick him up after his class shortly after nine-o’clock.  I was listening to the BBC news on NPR when they began to talk about a plane hitting the World Trade Center.  At first it seemed it was a small plane, but as we all learned it was a large plane and then another.  By the time my son and I got back home and turned on the television, it was clear that the US was under attack.  We then watched as the Pentagon was attacked, we learned of the plane down in Pennsylvania, and to our horror as we watched, the twin towers collapsed.

Returning home from Shelby yesterday, I drove past this monument, and I felt it appropriate to take a photo to post today on the tenth anniversary of 9/11. 

4 comments:

  1. If you enlarge the photo, you can see that these were done in drystone, and very well done. If anyone knows who did these I would really like to know. There is a large farm house near the pasture, but I never see anyone there--the gate is usually closed. I'm thinking it may be a country get away house for someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice monument.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless America and those brave people who lost their lives on 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stonemason Joe Kenlan constgructed the sculptures. Article in 9/11/2011 issue of the News and Observer had picture of him with the sculptures.

    ReplyDelete