Sunday, December 22, 2013

Miss Lucy's Coconut Cake (In Memory of Roz on her Birthday)

Miss Lucy's Coconut Cake, Christmas 2010.
I really had good intentions of making this cake this Christmas (2013) but alas I didn't get around to it.  But if you are looking for a recipe for a really good coconut cake this is it.  The only baking I've done this year has yielded chocolate chip cookies and two pies---one pecan and one pumpkin.  But I'm reposting this blog in memory of my mother.  Today would have been her birthday.  

When I was growing up, my Mom usually made two cakes at Christmas.  One was Miss Lucy's Coconut Cake.  Back then, without a food processor, it was frequently my task to grate the fresh coconut by hand with the box grater. In Christmas 2010, my friend Stephanie and I made this cake, but we used  frozen coconut instead of fresh.

Since I didn't make the coconut cake this past Christmas, I have made it for Easter.  And I used fresh coconut.  To my delight, I found that the food processor worked just fine for grating the coconut---none of this grating with the box grater.
Fresh grated coconut using food processor.

Here's the recipe for Miss Lucy's Coconut Cake:

1 c. butter                                 ½ tsp.salt
2 c. sugar                                 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3 c. plain flour                           ½ c. buttermilk
4 eggs                                      ½ c. water
3 tsp. baking powder

            Cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly as each egg is added.  Then add dry ingredients (sifted together) alternately with the buttermilk and water, which have been mixed together.  Add vanilla.  Pour batter into three round pans which have been greased and floured.
            Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

Filling:
1 large coconut ( or two small ones) grated                                2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 c. sugar                                                                               1 c. coconut milk

(You can supplement the coconut milk with plain milk if needed to make one cup.)

Mix all ingredients in order given. (Save ½ cup of grated coconut for garnish). Place over heat, and cook until thick; cool slightly.  Spread between layers and on sides.   Garnish top with grated coconut.

This cake is a very moist cake.  It is best made several days to a week in advance, and refrigerated so that the filling permeates the cake and the flavors blend. It's best if you let it come to room temperature before serving.
Miss Lucy's Coconut Cake for Easter.

I just had to sample it before Easter. Yum!




This is my favorite coconut cake.





         
.

2 comments:

  1. It looks yummy, Pat. Wish I lived next door so I could come over for a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks just like Mama made. The ONLY coconut cake I like.
    Can almost taste it.

    Martha

    ReplyDelete