Monday, June 11, 2012

OKLAHOMA, THE MOVIE

The musicals in the movies of the 1950s and early 60s were fun to watch.  An afternoon or evening at the movies was a favorite pastime for me back in those days.  Now it's fun to watch them again thanks to Neflix.  One of my favorites is Oklahoma released in 1955 based on the Broadway play of the same name and with music by Rodgers and Hammerstein.  Dan and I watched this the other night.

The music is great, and I especially like the opening song, Oh What A Beautiful Mornin', sung by Gordon McRae.

And the dancing was superb.


I had forgotten that the dances were staged by Agnes de Mille. No wonder the dancing was the highlight of the film.

Shirley Jones who was nineteen at the time this movie was made was a professionally trained vocalist.   This was Jones' first movie and began for her a long career in the movies and on television.  Here's the theme song in the finale sung by Jones and McRae and cast.


I love this movie!

Screen shots by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment