Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Among My Fav-o-rite Things: Our Four Seasons Quilt



In 1996 friends Peggy and Baker Rhyne from North Carolina visited us. Since we are in a remote country location, I met them in town so that I could guide them to our place.  Across from Tim Horton’s, in a vacant lot, a tag sale was underway.  Neither Peggy nor I can resist a yard sale so we hurried over to have a look.  That’s when I spotted this lovely quilt designed to be used as a wall hanging.

Although the appliqued houses lack perspective, I felt that the rich colors especially the deep burgundy and  royal blue would brighten our newly constructed sun room and would provide a color pallet around which I could decorate. I especially liked the assorted plaids woven into the patchwork suggesting Scottish tartans.

The piece is not old but is hand-quilted, though not by an expert, but neither by a novice, and I like its primitive nature.
Tree in spring.


     
Tree in summer.                                   












It was not until I hung it on the sun room wall that I noticed the four trees suggesting the four seasons–spring, summer, fall, winter.  I call it our four seasons quilt, and it is among my favorite things in the Marble Mountain house.


Tree in fall.
Tree in winter.















2 comments: