Thursday, May 24, 2012

My First Car: Unsafe at Any Speed

White Chevy Corvair, 1960 model.*
When I was in Shelby recently looking back through old issues of the Shelby Daily Star I ran across an ad for the Chevrolet Corvair.  This reminded me that I purchased my first car in Shelby at Crawley's Chevrolet in 1960, and it was a white with red interior Chevy Corvair.  The Corvair was a compact automobile produced by GM from 1960 to1969. It was the only American-made, passenger car to feature a rear-mounted,  air-cooled engine.
Ad from the Shelby Daily Star.
 I drove that little car all over the place for several years even after Ralph Nader declared it unsafe at any speed.  The trunk of the car was in the front and I suppose it was unsafe.  This would be a collectible if I still had this car. 
Spiffy red interior of the 1960 Corvair.*

Motor in the rear of the car.* 
* Photos from Mecum Auctions.  I don't seem to have any photographs of my Corvair. 

7 comments:

  1. That's not bad for a first car, Pat. Did you know that the Chevrolet Corvair was the most important car of the entire crop of the 1965 models? Also, it was the most beautiful car to appear in the country since, even before World War II.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In addition to what Nicole mentioned. The Chevrolet Corvair’s engine is air-cooled, has a flat design with aluminum heads, and they call it the "Boxer engine". This was previously used by Volkswagen and Porsche as well as Lycoming aircraft engines.

      Delete
  2. It was a wonderful little first car. Even though it was unsafe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Chevy Corvair initiated a styling revolution and definitely made an impact on automotive design. Though it was declared to be “unsafe at any speed”, it’s legacy still remains in automotive history.

    -Nettie Christensen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about its legacy. And I really liked that little car.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, that would be a nice addition to a car collection! You have just got to love the sleek interior and soft curves of the car – the typical design features you’d see in vintage cars. I love your first car, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I loved my first car too. I wish I had it now!!!! And boy would my grandsons like it.

    ReplyDelete