Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Lemon Ice-Cream Pie

Lemon Meringue Ice-Cream Pie (Photo from Southern Living magazine).
This is a recipe I adapted from one in the August 2011 Southern Living Magazine.
magazine, although I did not top my pie with meringue.

I used a ready-prepared graham cracker crust to which I added an edge of vanilla wafers.

For the bottom layer I used a pint of vanilla ice cream that had been softened to spread easily.


Bottom layer of vanilla ice cream.
While the bottom layer was refreezing, I made the lemon curd* and let it cool. Before spreading the second layer, one and a half cups of lemon curd, I placed a row of vanilla wafers around the edge of the crust.
Second layer of lemon curd.
The pie went back into the freezer for an hour and then I added the top layer, a pint of softened vanilla ice cream.  I did not swirl the lemon curd and the ice cream together as suggested in the Southern Living recipe.  I wanted to have three distinct layers in the pie. Nor did I top with meringue, but sprinkled vanilla wafer crumbs on top.  I let the pie freeze overnight before cutting.
Finished Lemon Ice-Cream Pie.
Ready to eat!
This is very easy to make and is quite delicious.  It can be made a day or so in advance.  This recipe is a keeper for me. Hint: It is helpful to let the pie warm up just a bit before slicing.  Leave the pie at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes, and it will slice more easily.  Slice the entire pie, use what you need, and freeze the remaining pieces.  It will keep for at least two weeks, and it will be easy to remove individual slices as you need them.
Remaining pie sliced and ready to eat when needed.  Will keep frozen for at least two weeks.

* Recipe for lemon curd:
 
Ingredients
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, coarsely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons lemon zest
  • 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 6 lemons) (I used Meyer lemons).
  • 4 large eggs, lightly beaten

Preparation

1. Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until sugar dissolves and butter melts.
2. Whisk about one-fourth of hot sugar mixture gradually into eggs; add egg mixture to remaining hot sugar mixture, whisking constantly. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, 15 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats back of a spoon. Remove from heat; cool completely (about 1 hour), stirring occasionally. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.

Southern Living AUGUST 2011 

Meyer lemons.

2 comments:

  1. Pat, You certainly know how to take shortcuts. Everyone can make this easy pie, and I bet it's super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an easy pie, and it is delicious. And it can be made in advance which is always a good thing for me.

      Delete