Monday, March 5, 2012

March Madness 1955 A Look Back

On Saturday, March 5, 1955, the finals for the Cleveland County Basketball Tournament were played at the City Park Community Center in Shelby, NC. This was before the schools of Cleveland County, NC were consolidated.  I was a forward (Patsy Greene) on the Lattimore High School girls team that defeated the Casar High School girls for the county championship that year.This was my March Madness 57 years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday.

The game was close until the end.  Here's part of the account of that game from The Shelby Daily Star (from my scrapbook).

  
Our championship trophy. From left to right Janice Cabaniss, Mary Helton and me. (A scan from my scrapbook).
Left to right: Sportsmanship Trophy (me), Mary Helton, MVP, Clyde Earl, MVP, Micky Beam, Sportsmanship.
As I look back to this championship game of 1955, I realize there will never be another March Madness like that one for me.

1 comment: