Thursday, January 12, 2012

Cousin Joan's Birthday (and Wedding)

Cousin Joan (Still from home movie.)
 Today is my cousin Joan Richbourg Greggs' birthday.  Happy Birthday Joan!  Joan has always been a close cousin, and when we were kids (she's just a few years older than I) I always looked forward to her visits to North Carolina in the summers.  She grew up in Maryland (still lives there), but would come to visit our grandmother in Cleveland County every summer. We always had so much fun.

 In 1951 when I learned that she was engaged and would marry I was sad, because I knew she wouldn't be coming down in the summers very often anymore. She decided to get married in North Carolina in our grandmother's lawn in August of that year, and she asked me to be her maid of honor. It was a pretty wedding.  I've captured some stills from a home movie that our uncle made at the wedding.
Wedding procession in grandmother's yard.
Married.
Bride and groom, Joan and George.
Joan, maid of honor (me) and flower girl (Cheryl, another cousin).
Joan still lives in Maryland, and we see each other two or three times a year.  We still have fun when we get together.

No comments:

Post a Comment