Monday, January 30, 2012

A Green Smoothie

 


Unlike this song sung by Kermit, it actually IS easy being green and here's how.  We like smoothies, particularly in the summer when I make a lot of fruit smoothies-usually with a bit of ice cream or frozen yogurt included.  I just pitch a few different fruits into the blender with a bit of ice cream and we have a smoothie.  Recently I ran across a reference to "green smoothies" and decided to look up recipes for them.  The recipe that I tried first is the following:

Banana-Pineapple Smoothie
1 banana
1 cup fresh pineapple
2 cups fresh baby spinach (or other leafy green)
1/2 cup of water

One banana and 1 cup of fresh pineapple in blender.
Add two cups of fresh spinach.
 In addition to these three ingredients, add 1/2 cup of water.  Blend.  I like to add an ice cube to smoothie.

Yummy, green smoothie.
I was skeptical about this, but it is very good.  And I figure I had  four (2 cups of spinach count as two.)  of my fruit/vegetable servings for the day in this one smoothie,  It makes about a 12 oz serving. This is good and it is healthy.  Check out the following website for recipes for green smoothies: So it is easy being green.
Incredible Smoothie Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment