Saturday, May 3, 2014

How I've Become a Kansas Jayhawks Basketball Fan


One of Broughton High School's star basketball players in the 2013 graduating class, Devonte' Graham, has committed to play college basketball at Kansas where he will be a freshman this fall.  I've followed Devonte' since middle school where he and my grandson Zach have been on the same school basketball teams through senior high school at Broughton in Raleigh, NC.

When I first saw Devonte' play he must have been in the seventh grade, and I commented, "Who is that kid?" A lady in back of me replied, "That's my grandson,"  Her grandson was a terrific player then and now he's heading to Kansas to play college basketball. 
Devonte' playing for Raleigh Caps in State Finals. (Photo by Ava Barlow)

Devonte' playing in the State Finals for Broughton High School in 2013. (Photo by Ava Barlow)

 Devonte' led the Broughton Basketball Team to the State Championship in 2013.

This past year Devonte' attended prep school at Brewster in New Hampshire.  He had a sterling basketball season there.  After being recruited by a number of colleges including NC State, Virginia, Providence and Kansas among others, he chose Kansas.

 Now I have become a Jayhawks fan, and you bet I'll be watching every Kansas game that is televised when possible.  Devonte' is not only a great point guard, but he is a very nice young man, and I predict great things for him. Check out the following link to learn more about Devonte' choosing Kansas.
Devonte' picks Kansas.

5 comments:

  1. There's no way Patrick or Michael approve of this. ;) Go Heels! Go Pack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I won't pull for Kansas if they are playing UNC, or State, but otherwise they're my team now. Our oldest grandson, Zach, will be a sophomore at UNC this fall.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you posted about him. I'd probably have never known about the Broughton/Raleigh connection otherwise, and it'll be one more reason to get excited about 2014 college hoops. :) Go Devonte'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken, are you in Kansas? Do you live where Devonte' will be playing? Maybe Patrick and I will fly out to see one of his games, if he gets to play a lot.

      Delete
  3. Yep, I'm located in Kansas City, which is about 30 min from Lawrence KS. Been here since 1999. If you fly out, I'll buy the tickets to the game. :)

    ReplyDelete