Monday, January 23, 2012

Chocolate Ebelskivers for Breakfast

Chocolate ebelskivers.
I was over at Southpoint Mall the other day with friend, Mary Todd, where she had to return something at Williams-Sonoma.  It's dangerous for me to go into that store.  I remembered hearing about these little Danish filled pancakes (Ebelskivers) and the pan for cooking them that WS just happened to have.  I came home with a new kitchen toy. I also picked up a can of the chocolate Ebelskiver mix, and I made these on Saturday for breakfast.
Ebelskiver pan.
I used the Ebelskiver chocolate mix from WS.  1 3/4 cup mix, 1 1/3 cup milk, 2 eggs separated, 2 tablespoons melted butter (plus enough to grease the pan).  This makes about 4 batches or 28 pancakes.  Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks, but not dry.
Mix remaining ingredients until well-mixed and fold in egg whites.
Fold in egg whites. (This makes the pancakes very light and fluffy).
Put 1/4 tsp melted butter into each of the wells in the pan and heat until bubbly.
Heat butter over medium heat until bubbly.
Add 1 tablespoon batter to each well.  Add 2 or 3 chocolate chips to serve as the filling.
Add chocolate chips.
Add tablespoon of batter on top of chocolate chips in each well.
One tablespoon of batter added to top of chocolate chips in each well.
Cook until bottoms are brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.  Using wooden skewers, flip the pancakes over and cook another 3 minutes until dark brown.
Cook until brown.
 Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy.  These would be good for dessert too.  Next time I will make my own batter and will fill with apples or some kind of jam.
Ready to eat. 
Here's a video demonstrating how to make these.

1 comment: