Saturday, January 14, 2012

Butterscotch Risotto Pudding

Book by Abigail Johnson Dodge
One of my Christmas gifts this year was a cookbook, desserts 4 today, by Abigail Johnson Dodge. This is a great little book for desserts where each of the 125 desserts uses only four ingredients.  They are all simple to make.  I had some arborio rice left over from an earlier dinner and decided to try the risotto pudding.
4 cups of whole milk.
2/3 cup of arborio rice
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar.
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.

Bring milk and rice to boil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
Bring rice and milk to boil.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes until pudding is thick and reduced to about 3 cups.  Remove from heat and add sugar and vanilla.
Add brown sugar and vanilla.
Pour the pudding into 3 or 4 serving bowls.  Cover with plastic wrap touching the surface so that a skin doesn't form.  Serve warm or refrigerate until ready to serve for up to 2 days.
Cover with plastic wrap touching the surface.
I did use about 2 cups of half and half and 2 cups of whole milk.  I wanted a really rich pudding.  I chilled mine to serve cold with fresh blueberries.  It was good, but next time I will add a little less sugar.  I found it just a bit too sweet.  I'll probably use 3/8 cup of brown sugar next time.
Chilled rice pudding with fresh blueberries.


I am happy to add desserts 4 today to my collection of cookbooks, and I look forward to trying more of her recipes soon.
desserts 4 today on my shelf now.

No comments:

Post a Comment