Saturday, November 26, 2011

A Half Gallon Now 1.5 Quarts


Have you noticed recently how grocery products are becoming smaller while the price stays the same or maybe even increases? Food companies are keeping the price of an item the same while decreasing the amount of food in the package. The company recoups the costs of the rise in commodities and hopes consumers don't notice that they're getting less of the product for the same price.
What used to be a half-gallon of ice cream is now 1.5 quarts.
Breyer's ice cream went from 2 quarts (half gallon) in a carton to 1.75 quarts and now it's 1.5 quarts.

Recently my niece asked me for a recipe for my rum cake.  I hadn't made it recently, so when I dug out the recipe to send her I thought I would make one for us too.  The recipe calls for an 18.5 oz box of yellow cake mix.  As I searched for such a box at the grocery the other day, I found that box is now 18.25 oz.  I'm hoping that a quarter of an ounce is not going to make a difference when I make this cake.
This yellow cake mix has gone from 18.5 oz to 18.25 oz.
I'm wondering if I will one day buy a dozen eggs at the grocery store and find that there are only eleven eggs in the carton!
Will a dozen eggs contain only 11 eggs in the carton one day?

1 comment:

  1. I am sure there are other products you did not
    mention out there in the stores. We are all so
    busy we just pick things up and not notice the
    difference. However I did know about the ice cream. Some brands of ice cream still give you a
    half gallon....... while some other products shrink in size and the containers get bigger.
    Irritated shopper. ( Martha )

    ReplyDelete