Sunday, November 20, 2011

Millcreek Forge and Blacksmith Shop


 This is what Mary Farrell of Westmoore Pottery had to say about her neighbor, Jerry Darnell of Millcreek Forge:

"Mill Creek Forge, located just a short walk down a path through the woods from Westmoore Pottery, is the workplace of blacksmith Jerry Darnell. Jerry won't brag about himself but other blacksmiths tell me that he is consistently rated one of the five best blacksmiths in the country today. Mill Creek Forge's specialty is 18th century style blacksmithing. Since he is semi-retired, Jerry's hours are somewhat irregular, but you can often catch him working on Mondays through Saturdays from 10-4.  His very fine ironwork is well worth a visit."  


I decided to take Mary's advice and visit the shop when I was in Moore County last week.  And I agree, it is well worth a visit.

The shop.
Erik Farrell (right) visiting with Jerry Darnell in the shop.

Tools of the trade.

The fire.
Wares for sale.

Mary enjoying the black smith shop.
My friend, Mary Todd, enjoyed the visit too, and I think you would as well.

1 comment:

  1. Hal would especially enjoy this!
    Maybe we can go down there sometime.

    ReplyDelete