Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Pincushion Flower


In Trader Joe's the other day I was choosing a bouquet of flowers (they have such a lovely selection and such reasonable prices) and looking for something coral/orange to use for an arrangement on the counter in our utility room---that's the accent color in that room.  The bouquet I chose had a very unusual flower and being a botanist I had to discover its identity.



I learned that it is a plant native to South Africa, and its common name is the pincushion flower. The botanical name is Leucospermum cordifolium. It certainly is an interesting flower and made for a nice arrangement.




It matched our accent colors in the room very nicely.
Painting in utility room.
Monkey in utility room.


I also found images where it was used in a bridesmaid's bouquet and in other unusual arrangements. 
Photo Credit: Hitched Weddings & Events
Photo Credit: The Knot
It's too bad the plant won't grow here, but I'll be on the lookout for this flower again.

No comments:

Post a Comment