Monday, April 16, 2012

Klondike Bar Birthday Cake


Michael's birthday cake.




Michael is particularly fond of Klondike Ice Cream Bars, and for his birthday cake this year I made a cake out of those bars.  Michael and his family came over last night for ice cream and cake---well, in this case ice cream and ice cream. (Michael's birthday was actually April 7.)   The ice cream cake kept well in the freezer so it was ready for whenever they could celebrate.
Six Klondike bars ready to refreeze.


I arranged six ice cream bars on a platter and put them back into the freezer to harden in this position.  I softened a carton of Breyer's vanilla ice cream to use as icing.
First layer of vanilla ice cream as icing.

The cake went back into the freezer for the first layer of icing to refreeze before the second and last layer of softened vanilla ice cream was added.  The Happy Birthday message in Carolina Blue cookie icing topped the cake.  I didn't spread the vanilla ice cream all the way down the sides, because I wanted to cut between the bars so that each serving would include one whole ice cream bar. 

Side view of cake after iced.
A serving is one Klondike bar (except most of us had only half of this, even Michael).



2 comments:

  1. I am going to make that for Laura's birthday.
    She LOVES ice cream.... and her birthday is
    coming up in August.
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I wish I could have some!

    ReplyDelete