Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Clyde Jones and His Critters


Each year in Bynum, a quiet little village in Chatham County, NC Clydefest honors the local folk artist, Clyde Jones, with a one day festival which is especially entertaining for children and those young at heart.  The Festival serves as a fundraiser for the Chatham County Arts Council too. Clyde is famous for the wood critters he fashions with his chain saw.  Saturday, friend Helen and I went over to enjoy the festivities.
If I can ride a Vespa in Italy, then I can ride a critter in Bynum.

I can still hula hoop a little.  Helen and I each bought a hoop to take home to use for exercise.  : )






Lots of activities for the children and for the young at heart.  And of course FOOD.  I had a barbecue sandwich, and I simply couldn't pass up an opportunity to have some Maple View Farms ice cream.
Children enjoying the drums.



Caramel Crunch Maple View Ice Cream.





Clyde won't sell his critters, but he donates them to various charities or gives them to friends.  I have always wanted one of his crocodiles/alligators.  There was a drawing for one at the Fest, but guess I didn't win.  They haven't emailed me.
One of Clyde's alligators.
Helen and I were not able to stay around for the afternoon performance where Clyde would be making a critter, so as we were leaving we drove around the little village and over by his house.  Every house in the village has a Clyde Critter in the yard, and Clyde's yard has a menagerie of critters.  Clyde welcomed all who stopped by and invited us to come into the yard and take photos.
Clyde Critter in neighborhood yard.

Clyde's yard.
Clyde sitting on his porch eating a barbecue and welcoming visitors.



No comments:

Post a Comment