Friday, April 6, 2012

Parting With Old Friends


We have bookshelves and books in every room of our house except the bathrooms, and even there we often have a stack of books on the floor. We are beginning to downsize now, and we are having to part with many of our books.  It's like losing old friends.  It's particularly hard for Dan.  He only recently agreed to start thinning out our bookshelves.  He's saved every book, even every paperback, and is reluctant to part with a single one.  I, on the other hand, have no problem parting with most paperbacks. I am attached to many of the hardbacks though. But as we begin to think about downsizing and perhaps eventually moving into a retirement community, the books are one thing we can start to winnow.  
Hallway.
Den.

Guest room.
Living room.
Living room.
Dining room.
Study.
Utility room.
Bathroom.
Bookshelves have been a major component in our decorating over the years, and I like the following quote from Anna Quindlen:  "I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves."  ~Anna Quindlen, "Enough Bookshelves," New York Times, 7 August 1991
My Kindle, soon to be my library.

Oh well, I have my Kindle, and I can carry around a lot of old friends with it. But I must admit, it's not quite the same as settling down for a good read with a real book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment