Sunday, December 15, 2013

Festivus Chai, a New Favorite Holiday Drink


A bottle of Festivus Chai.

Dan and I drink a lot of hot tea, especially in the winter time.  We also like chai (rhymes with pie)---a beverage that is a blend of black tea, honey, spices, and milk. And we prefer our chai hot.  

I was in Whole Foods the other day and noticed  a bottle of Festivus Chai concentrate on sale.  It probably caught my eye because we had just put up our Festivus Pole for Christmas.
Festivus Chai on sale at Whole Foods.

 If you're not a Seinfeld fan you may not be familiar with a Festivus Pole.  Both my grown boys were and still are dedicated Seinfeld fans, and they can repeat line for line quotes from many of the episodes of Seinfeld.  At Christmas they frequently quote from the episode about the Festivus Pole. 

Several years ago, Dan made us a Festivus Pole---actually I think he made it to surprise the boys.  It has been a fun part of our Christmas ever since.  One is not supposed to decorate the pole in any way, but we usually put a Santa hat or a big bow on top. 

Our Festivus Pole that Dan made for the boys.
 
Santa hat atop the Festivus Pole.

I brought a bottle of the Chai home and made Dan and me each a cup of Festivus Chai.  It's quite good.  The contents are filtered water, cane juice, black tea, honey, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, clove, allspice, black pepper, nutmeg, cocoa and vanilla.  extract. It's made by Third Street Chai in Boulder, Colorado and is available only at Whole Foods (it's certified organic) and only during the Christmas holidays.  The flavors that are most distinct to me are the cocoa and the nutmeg, both of which I like very much.  
Mix equal parts Festivus Chai concentrate and milk and heat.
A nice hot cup of Festivus Chai.

I think I will serve Festivus Chai this year at our Christmas Eve gathering for those that would like a hot beverage.  

For those not familiar with this episode of Seinfeld check out this video from You Tube.


No comments:

Post a Comment