Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Sunday News and Observer and AC Snow

One thing I like about the Sunday N & O is AC Snow's weekly column.  These two entries from Snow's column of December 4  made for a chuckle, and I want to share them with you.



Smart girl
It's disconcerting when I dial a telephone number and someone answers by saying, before I can identify myself, "And how are you today, A.C.?"
It's all a part of our electronic culture, which allows for no surprises in telephone communication.
When I called a Maine mail order house, a cheerful voice greeted me by name and reeled off my address.
"Now how did you know all that personal stuff about me?" I asked, well aware that the information was part of my previous purchasing record.
"Because," the woman replied pertly, "I was the valedictorian of my high school graduation class."

Classic putdown
I'm partial to clever putdowns such as this one by the late John Barrymore, one of America's greatest stage personalities
Once, during a performance of Shakespeare's "Richard the Third," as he uttered the classic lines, "A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse," someone in the audience neighed loudly.
Without pause, Barrymore pointed toward the heckler and shouted, "Saddle yon ass!"
: )
Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/12/04/1685876/a-shallot-by-another-name-may.html#storylink=misearch#ixzz1fgJQe24

Every Sunday, I look forward to AC's column in the News and Observer.

No comments:

Post a Comment