Monday, December 5, 2011

Leland Little Winter Estate Catalogued Auction



On  Friday night my friend Virginia from Greensboro and I attended the Leland Little Auction in Hillsborough. The sale featured the personal collection of Joseph D. Rowand, founder of Somerhill Gallery, Chapel Hill, NC and a large collection of rare and fine wine.
There were a number of Maude Gatewood pieces offered and one that I particularly liked.
Maude Gatewood oil on canvas abstract.
I was outbid on a wonderful still life by Lucy Spencer.  It sold for $1600.
Lucy Spencer still life.
 There was a  reception with wine and hors d'oeuvres prior to the auction.
Wine and cheese.
Virginia at the Friday night auction.
I went back on Saturday where the auction continued with over 700 lots of fine and decorative arts offered. This session featured multi-estate national and international level collections.  Art Deco items from James and Virginia Tucker's collection were among the items sold on Saturday. 
The auction in progress.

I was the successful bidder of one item on Saturday.  Check my blog tomorrow for a description of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment