Thursday, April 17, 2014

Surprised!!! We Love Black Bean Spaghetti

The other day when I was reorganizing my pantry I discovered a bag of black bean spaghetti that must have been an impulse purchase of mine at Whole Foods.  I finally decided to try it, and to our surprise we really, really like it.  I cooked the whole batch al dente.  It's thin and flat a little more like fettucini than spaghetti.  Our first serving was spaghetti mixed with pesto and topped with a tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese. Served warm.
Black Bean Spaghetti.

The beauty of this spaghetti is that it is high in protein, high in fiber and has no sodium.  On top of that it tastes as good or better than ordinary semolina spaghetti.  Having no wheat, it is gluten free.  Dan suggested we make some regular spaghetti sauce and top the spaghetti with that.  I made the sauce with onions, mushrooms, tomato sauce, and ground beef.
Black bean spaghetti.  I like the contrast of color.

Add homemade spaghetti sauce.
Freshly grate some Parmesan cheese.
Ready to eat. 

We also tried the leftover spaghetti as a cold salad.  I mixed in a bit of pesto with the spaghetti and mixed in chopped fresh tomatoes.  Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.  Drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar on top.  Tasty!!!!
Black bean pasta with pesto, tomatoes, and Parmesan cheese.  Serve at room temperature. 

Try it, I think you will like it.  Available at Whole Foods and online at Amazon.




No comments:

Post a Comment