Sunday, April 13, 2014

Minimizing my Pantry: Snacks and Nuts

In downsizing our pantry, I am trying to cut back on snacks---especially sweet snacks.  I try to keep fruits and vegetables on hand in the fridge for snacking, but there are certain snacks that I won't eliminate.

I seem to be out of one of my favorite snacks, Cashew Clusters with almonds and pumpkin seeds from Costco.  They contain 50% cashews and are a good source of protein and fiber, and they are not too sweet but sweet enough to satisfy my sweet tooth.  I need to replenish our supply of these.
Cashew Clusters from Costco.

I tried the dark chocolate covered soybeans from Trader Joe's, but I didn't really like them so I won't be getting any more of those even though they are healthful. 
Chocolate covered soy beans.
I always try to have popcorn on hand.  Popcorn is a low calorie and very filling snack.  We like to have some if we are watching a Netflix movie.  We try to get the low sodium or no sodium brands. 
Popcorn is a low calorie snack.

But perhaps our favorite snack is nuts of all kinds. And nuts are such a good source of proteins particularly if you don't eat a lot of meat.   We usually have mixed nuts, walnuts, pecans, almonds and sometimes pine nuts, sunflower seeds (not really nuts I guess) and pistachios.  Costco carries a nice offering of unsalted nuts which we prefer since we try to reduce our sodium intake.  And buying in the large bulk sizes in much cheaper.
Our current nut collection in the pantry. 
Unsalted mixed nuts from Costco. 



Of course, sometimes we snack on chocolate, but chocolate will be covered in a separate blog.

Writing this blog has made me hungry, I think I'll go have a handful of nuts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment