Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Our Rehab Experience at Rex Rehab


Rex Rehab. 
Dan and I both have been lucky to have had access to the Rex Hospital Outpatient Rehabilitation in Raleigh.  The staff is marvelous, and the therapists are so well-trained and so encouraging.
Brian, my physical therapist. 

In January I had a complete knee replacement, and I followed up with outpatient rehab at Rex.  It went so smoothly for me and my therapist, Brian, kept pushing me and I have made a very quick and complete recovery.  My new knee is GREAT!  Thank you, thank you Brian.

Dan was recently diagnosed with Parkinsonism---very early stage of Parkinson's Disease.  One of his symptoms was that his usual booming voice had become quite weak.  He first went through an intensive voice therapy program that has improved the volume of his voice. 
Dan with Nancy his occupational therapist.

To improve his handwriting he worked with an occupational therapist at Rex, so that his writing is now legible once more.

During this month of April he has been enrolled in the LSVT Big program that consists of a series of exercises that he performs twice daily.  Four days each week he is at Rex PT and the other days he does these exercises at home.  This program allows the patient to improve mobility, flexibility, balance, and range of motion.  When started at the time of early diagnosis, the program can prevent the body rigidity that often accompanies PD. 
Dan with Martha his LSVT therapist.

The folks at the front desk are also welcoming.

Friendly ladies at the front desk.
 Yes, we are fortunate to have this facility available and only fifteen minutes from home.  And we are fortunate that Dan's Parkinsonism was caught in the very early stages.  We are very hopeful!

2 comments:

  1. My Dad has had great things to say about rehab at Rex.

    I wish you and Dan the best. :)

    ReplyDelete