Friday, August 17, 2012

Partridge Berry (aka Lingonberry) Pie in Newfoundland


Partridge berry (aka Lingonberry) Pie.

According to Wikipedia partridge berry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea), internationally known as lingonberry, is a  relative of the cranberry and is a low mat forming evergreen shrub with tiny rounded leaves. These berries grow in the dry, acidic soils of Newfoundland and Labrador’s barrens and coastal headlands.
Partridge berry growing among the reindeer moss.
We are fond of lingonberry preserves that are available from IKEA, and the other evening in Newfoundland we discovered partridge berry pie was on the menu.  Needless to say we were definitely determined to try it, and we were not disappointed.

We also had partridge berries on our home cooked oatmeal for breakfast one morning.


 And a sundae.



I was hoping that perhaps fresh partridge berries might be available, but I learned they are harvested in September after the first frost.  The pie was made with frozen berries.  I'll look for frozen ones in the grocery store, but I suspect they are not available commercially, but perhaps only as preserves or jam.  I guess individuals pick the berries and freeze them.  I didn't find out from the restaurant just where they got the berries for the pie. I wish I had done so

Lingonberry jam from IKEA (Photo from their website).

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Newfoundland and cherish these partridge berries. My grandmother and mother always made tarts and jam with them. They are available in the fall at roadside markets and some select stores. To be honest, you can pick them yourself - they grow plentiful on our barrens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, I fell in love with them when we were in Newfoundland.

      Delete