Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I found this and wanted to share it on my blog.  The link is:Cookie Madness

How to Toast Hazelnuts

by Anna on August 12, 2007 · 14 comments
This is how I do it. If you have a better method, let me know.
Spread a few cups of nut in a metal baking pan or a large sheet pan with ridges.
Bake them in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until they are very hot and fragrant. Carefully dump them into a dish towel which you’ve spread across the counter – a ridged dish towel or one with some sort of embroidery works well because it provides more friction. Bring the ends of the dish towel up around the still-hot hazelnuts and wrap them up like a present. Using your hands, rub them between the towel and the work surface so that the friction created by the rubbing loosens the skin. If the nuts are very hot, you may want to wear oven mitts while you press down on the towel.
This is very messy, by the way.
The skin will not instantly follow off all the nuts. Pick out the ones which have lost the most skin and put them in a separate group. Work on the remaining. As the nuts cool, you can pick up about 5 at a time and rub them in the palm of your hands to remove remaining skin.
skinning hazelnuts.jpg
I use to remove all of the skin. Now I just remove most of it and them. For today’s recipes, a little skin is okay.
hazelnuts with some skin.jpg
Remove all of the nuts from the towel. Take the towel in the back yard (lift it up carefully) and shake all the skins off into the air.

1 comment:

  1. I was needing to use some toasted hazelnuts in a recipe and I wanted to learn the best way to toast them and skin them. So I'm going to try this.

    ReplyDelete