Saturday, June 29, 2013

A Southern Style Meal in Kings Mountain, NC


Dan and I were in Shelby recently visiting with friends and relatives, and on our return home we had planned to meet my good friend PJ (Peggy Jean and I have been friends since first grade) in Kings Mountain for lunch.  Our original plan was to meet at Hardee's, but PJ's son-in-law Darryl suggested a family restaurant, Mountain View, that had good food and a quieter place for a visit. 

Mountain View specializes in home-cooked Southern style cuisine.  There were several lunch specials and a wide variety of choices on the menu.  All were reasonably priced.

Darryl opted for the steak and gravy special, and he cleaned his plate with great satisfaction.
Steak and gravy, a lunch special.

Dan liked the fried catfish special a lot, and Dan is something of a connoisseur of seafood so it must have been good. 

PJ and I each had a vegetable plate.  My selection of turnip greens, mac n' cheese, and beets along with banana pudding (obviously not a vegetable but a choice item on the veggie plate menu) was nicely prepared and the portions were filling. I liked having banana pudding as a choice---the perfect dessert for a southern meal. And the sweet tea was perfect---not too sweet as is often the case.
My plate of turnip greens, mac and cheese, pickled beets and banana pudding.

 The basket of hot cornmeal muffins was a nice complement for all our selections.  (The serving was so ample that I had a few to bring home for an afternoon snack of cornbread and milk---yummy.)
Wonderful corn muffins.

It had been a while since I had seen PJ's grandchildren and my how they have grown!  It seems like yesterday they were just toddlers.
PJ's granddaughter Kristin.

PJ's grandson Wesley.


The restaurant is conveniently located just off Interstate 85 at  100 W King St.  I'm sure that Dan and I will be returning to this restaurant when we visit Cleveland County---the food is good, the service excellent and the prices quite reasonable---especially when we might be hankering for a truly southern style meal served with southern hospitality.
 Mountain View Restaurant on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. We all discussed it and we all agree with you. Great food,great company, and great service. And we are looking forward to hearing more of Dan's stories. ~Love Kristen ,Darrell, Wesley, and Pj.

    ReplyDelete