Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Perigee or Super Moon, June 23, 2013


Once long ago when I was temporarily teaching earth science, I remember we studied perigee and apogee of the moon.  Somehow those two terms stuck in my mind all these years, so when I saw that there was going to be a perigee moon, I knew just what that meant.  The moon is nearest the earth in its orbit and consequently appears brighter and larger than usual. 

I was fairly confident that I would not be able to get a good photo of this, because I never seem to be able to get an acceptable photo of the moon, so I've quit trying.  My niece Kelly has gotten some good ones.  One in particular I like very much where it looks like her son Andy is holding the moon.
Andy "holding" the moon. (Photo by Kelly Cabaniss Snellings.)
And another one of the full moon coming over the trees. 
Full moon rising. (Photo by Kelly Cabaniss Snellings.)
Super moon (Photo by Kelly Cabaniss Snellings.)

 I snagged some off the internet to share with you.
From the WRAL website (Photo AP Julio Cortez)
In Charlotte, NC (AP Photo Chuck Burton.)

It was rainy and cloudy, so I didn't even get to see the perigee moon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment