Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I Scream, You Scream, We all Scream for Ice Cream


Fresh Local Ice Cream on Glenwood Avenue.


Now that the weather is warming and it's almost summer, my attention turns to ice cream.  Oh who am I kidding, I love ice cream all season long.  There's no better place in Raleigh, NC to get ice cream than the Fresh Local Ice Cream Shop over on Glenwood Avenue.

Many different flavors.
They use local fresh dairy products.

This must be one of Raleigh's best kept secrets.  The Shop is in a little building that was formerly a bank in the Oak Park Shopping Center, and it is easily missed when cruising down Glenwood.  If you know where Taverna Agora, the Greek restaurant, is, Fresh Local is next door to the east.
Maple-walnut ice cream.

To my knowledge, this is the only place in Raleigh, that one can find maple-walnut ice cream.  I discovered this flavor many years ago in Nova Scotia.  There the flavor is readily available in cartons in Sobey's, but my favorite is down in Halifax at Cow's Ice Cream.  But in Raleigh, Fresh Local Ice Cream is my favorite place for any kind of ice cream, but especially maple-walnut.
They make ice cream cakes for special occasions.
They have fresh lemonade and strawberry lemonade too.

My friend, Marcia, and I have made a pact to limit the amount of sweets we eat in June---trying to lose a bit of weight---and ice cream is considered "a sweet".  Once a week, however, we have agreed that when we get together we will allow ourselves a trip over to Fresh Local Ice Cream, where I will surely have a maple-walnut ice cream milkshake.
Maple-walnut milkshake.

If you haven't discovered this little shop over on Glenwood, and if you like ice cream, you should hurry on over to Fresh Local Ice Cream.   You won't be disappointed.

 Fresh Local Ice Cream on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment