Saturday, March 1, 2014

Cheerwine Cake

A piece of moist Cheerwine cake.

After a ballgame the other week, Michael, Zach and I stopped by PDQ Barbecue to get a snack.  When I walked in I saw this enormous pile of Cheerwine cases.  Cheerwine is just about my favorite soda. Back in the 50s we rarely drank sodas, but when I did my choice was Cheerwine which has its roots in Salisbury, NC.

Cases of Cheerwine soda at PDQ in Raleigh. 

 

I immediately remembered seeing a reference to Cheerwine Cake in a recent Our State magazine.  I bought four.  One to drink and the others to take home for making the cake.  The waitress told me I could buy a case for $32.00.  I was tempted, because it is sometimes difficult to find Cheerwine even here in North Carolina where it is made.  I resisted because I try not to drink many sodas. 

 

Here's a recipe.

Cheerwine Cake

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup Cheerwine or Coca-Cola
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
For the frosting:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup Cheerwine or Coca-Cola
1 Tbsp maraschino cherry juice


Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch pan well with butter or shortening.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Mix to combine.

Mix dry ingredients.

In a small saucepan combine the butter, cocoa powder, Cheerwine, and buttermilk. Stir over medium heat until butter has melted and mixture has combined.

Melting the butter in the liquid ingredients.

Remove chocolate mixture from heat, and with the mixer running on low, slowly pour into the flour mixture. Add in eggs one at a time, then the vanilla. Mix until combined, then pour into prepared baking pan.

Ready to pour into baking pan.

Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.


While cake is baking, make the frosting/glaze. In a large saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa powder, Cheerwine, and maraschino juice. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and carefully whisk in 4 cups of confectioner’s sugar until smooth. Pour the frosting over the warm cake. 


Let sit for at least 2 hours before cutting, or even overnight. We let it sit overnight and enjoyed it the next day.  It was so moist. 
Very moist cake.
Here it is ready to eat.  It was a bit sweet with the frosting.  It would be delicious without the frosting and next time I will omit the frosting.

Ready to enjoy.


It's nice with a dollop of whipped cream and garnished with a maraschino cherry.
And by the way.  I enjoyed a nice cold Cheerwine while I was making the cake. 
A nice cold Cheerwine.  Delish!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment