Wednesday, March 19, 2014

How to Have Your Cake and Eat It Too

Kiwi Trifle Using Left Over Cake

I made a Shamrock Cake for St. Patrick's Day in which I cut out shamrock slices from one cake and baked them in the center of a second cake.  So I had all these pieces of cake left over from the first cake.  But I didn't waste them.

Cutting out shamrock slices left a lot of the green cake unused.
Leftovers from cake number one.

I froze the leftovers and one night I cut up cubes of the cake and served it with pistachio ice cream.
Cubes of cake.
Served with pistachio ice cream.

I used the remainder of the cake in a small pistachio kiwi trifle.  I first put in a layer of  cake which had been cut into cubes.
Cake layer.

Then a layer of pistachio pudding. I used an instant Jello mix for the pudding.
Instant Jello pistachio pudding mix.

Pudding layer.

Followed by a layer of kiwi slices.  Repeat until complete.  I put a bit of whipped cream on top. This was really good.
Kiwi layer.
Whipped cream on top.
The different layers from a side view.

I still have quite a bit of the Shamrock Cake, and I think I will freeze it to have on hand when I want to make a trifle.  If unexpected company shows up, it's always easy to make a trifle for dessert as long as you have cake, pudding mix and fruit of some kind. 


No comments:

Post a Comment