Friday, September 13, 2013

The Hawkins Reunion (Part Two): The Food and Fun

The food!

At the Hawkins Reunion last Sunday not only did we reunite with a lot of cousins, but we enjoyed a scrumptious dinner prepare by cousin Jerry Scruggs with the help of cousin Shelva Jean and the D's. (Donna, Debbie, and Deedee).

The food ready to eat.

The main dish was grilled turkey.  Jerry sliced, marinated, and grilled 49 pounds of turkey breasts.  Delicious.  I must get Jerry's marinade recipe.
Jerry's grilled turkey breasts.

Side dishes included:  sweet potato casseroles (Jerry's two and Shelva's one).

Sweet potato casseroles.
Slaw, green beans and macaroni.

Green beans.
Jerry's yeast rolls made in advance, frozen and reheated.  So yummy!
Jerry's rolls ready to heat.

Sliced tomatoes, Shelva's pear relish---must get this recipe too. 
Sliced tomatoes.
Shelva Jean's pear relish.

And of course, dessert, Jerry's peach cobbler.
Peach cobbler.
Enjoying the dinner.

After lunch Bingo was enjoyed by young and old. 
One of my winning bingo cards.


My prize.
 But no, we weren't through.  Finally, the pièce de résistance---old fashioned homemade ice cream. There were five freezers (the hand-cranked type) of ice cream---each a different flavor. This really took me back to my childhood. 
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

Old-fashioned home made ice cream.

Oh I do hope we will be on the invitation list for next year's 25th Hawkins Reunion. I'm already looking forward to it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment