Saturday, February 16, 2013

Low Sodium Sloppy Joes


When we were in Key West a few weeks ago, we ate at the famous Sloppy Joe's Saloon, and I had a Sloppy Joe sandwich.
Sloppy Joe at Sloppy Joe's in Key West.
That was the first I had had probably since my children were small.  I had forgotten how much I liked a Sloppy Joe.  We are trying to stay on a low sodium diet whenever possible, so I decided to make some low sodium Sloppy Joes.

I found this recipe online at this website.

This is another quick sandwich meal that will cook while you are out. Small children and teenagers seem to like this too, so it's great for a party or family get together. Hunts makes a low sodium catsup that seems to be pretty widely available.

1 1/2 lb Ground Beef
1 Onion,Chopped
1 c Low Sodium Catsup *
1 Green Pepper,Chopped
2 T Brown Sugar
1/2 t Garlic Powder
2 T Prepared Mustard
3 T Vinegar (I used balsamic vinegar.)
1 T Worcestershire
1 t Chili Powder

 * I used about 1/4/ c low sodium catsup, 1/4 c low sodium tomato paste, and 1/2 c salt free pureed tomatoes.

In a skillet, brown beef and onion. Drain. Stir together remaining ingredients in crockpot. Stir in meat and onion mixture. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
Yield: 8 Servings
Beef and onion in skillet.
Brown beef and onion.
Mix remaining ingredients in crock pot.
Add meat and onions to crock pot.
I cooked for six hours on low in crock pot.
Ready to eat.


These were very good, and I really didn't miss the salt.  

No comments:

Post a Comment