Monday, July 9, 2012

No Coffee Crisp on This Trip: Too Much Sugar

Delicious Coffee Crisp Candy Bars.

I don't eat a lot of candy,  but when we hit the Canadian border on the way to Nova Scotia, I can't resist getting a Coffee Crisp candy bar.  Dan likes them too. These candy bars by Nestle are not available in the USA or at least we've not been able to find them.  Good thing too, because they are borderline addictive. 

Coffee Crisp for sale at Smith's Store in Orangedale.
Coffee Crisp split in half. (Photo from Wikipedia.)

According to Wikipedia the origin of the bar is in the UK in the 1930s with a chocolate bar named Rowntree's Wafer Crisp. This was later renamed to Chocolate Crisp. The bar was later introduced to Canadians as Biscrisp. In 1938, a coffee variation (Coffee Crisp) was added to the line of flavored Biscrisps. It is presently marketed by Nestlé Canada. The bar is a combination of coffee cream, cookie wafers and chocolate coating. It does contain a small amount of coffee, although much of its coffee taste comes from flavoring.

I just found a recipe for a Coffee Crisp ice cream pie.  If I make one I'll post about it on my blog.

2 comments:

  1. I like these too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We definitely have this in common. My favourite chocolate bar!

    ReplyDelete