Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Gadding About with #4 in Lawrence, Kansas


Devonte' Graham
I first was awed by Devonte' Graham while attending my first basketball game at Daniels Middle School where my grandson Zach was on the team.  There was this phenomenal little kid hitting 3 pointers right and left, stealing the ball, making great passes, and I exclaimed "Who is THAT kid?"  His grandmother, Doris King McCain who was sitting behind me, tapped me on the shoulder and said, "That's my grandson."  I have followed Devonte' ever since.  He and Zach played together at Daniels, at Broughton, and played in the State Championship Game together at the Dean Dome in 2013.

After a year at Brewster Academy, Devonte' was signed by Bill Self at Kansas where he has had a spectacular four-year career.  As I followed the Jayhawks, I told Zach that we must go to Lawrence to see Devonte' play.  This past weekend, I marked this off my Bucket List.  What a grand time we had!!!!

We met Devonte' on Friday night at Jefferson's a popular bar/restaurant on Mass Avenue.  Zach and I had arrived a bit early and claimed a table.  When Devonte' walked in you could see heads turn, because he is well-recognized and admired both off and on the court.  Devonte' is kind and thoughtful, and when young boys wanted to have their pictures made with him as we left the restaurant, he happily obliged.   He is quite the celebrity in Lawrence.
Having dinner at Jefferson's. 

After dinner, Devonte' took us on a tour of Allen Fieldhouse, the athletic facilities and his dorm.  It was all mind-boggling!
The practice court. 

Allen Fieldhouse empty at night and ready for Saturday night's game. 

Balls ready for the upcoming game.

Devonte' and Zach at center court. 

The locker room. 

Zach and I left his dorm all psyched up and ready for the game on Saturday night.

(To be continued.  Stay tuned.)


No comments:

Post a Comment