Saturday, April 11, 2015

Our New "Garage" Bathroom

Small bathroom.

We have turned our two-car garage into a "guest suite" or possibly a place for a full-time caretaker when the need arises.  Our "garage" was never used to park cars.  Dan had his workshop in one half, and we had storage (mainly for my pottery collection) in the other side.  The bathroom was built at the back of what had been Dan's workshop.  It is quite small (4' x 10') but quite adequate. 

Because of the size of the room we chose "small" fixtures that the space could accommodate.  We opted for a shower kit that was installed in one corner. 
Corner shower kit.
The sink and medicine cabinet are the smallest we could find. 
Small vanity and medicine cabinet.
Mirror and lights over the vanity.

The toilet is regular size, but at Wayfair online I found a tiny little cabinet to use beside the toilet that is perfect for storing toilet tissue and other bathroom necessities.

Small cabinet from Wayfair.  (Photo from their website.)



The tiny cabinet from Wayfair is perfect for this spot beside the toilet. (I am going to add brushed nickel knobs to match the vanity and medicine cabinet, and to make it look a little more upscale.)
Because of a bedspread I had on hand, I chose lime green and tangerine for the color scheme for the suite.  In looking for towels I had not found what I wanted, but I was in Big Lots looking for something else and accidentally found just the color green that I wanted in two bath towels. These were on sale for $3.00 each---a great find. Coincidentally, the towels have a little chain stitch very much like the chain stitch on the bedspread. 
Lime green towels and brown ones to blend with the wall paint.



Chain stitching on the towels.
In order to find matching hand towels and wash cloths I had to check every Big Lots in the area, but I managed to find both.  In the same style, were brown ones that blended well with the wall color. 

The floor is solid bamboo used throughout the guest suite.

We love the beautiful solid bamboo flooring.

To add a little whimsy, we mounted a painting of a crocodile above the shower.  Although I once was an avid collector of crocs and gators, I have pretty much given up that hobby.  But at the Hickory Pottery and Antique Show the other week, I couldn't resist this little guy in a booth next to mine and thought it would be perfect for the bathroom.  And it is.

Le gator above the shower. 

Although the bathroom is quite small, because we chose small fixtures, it really seems spacious and not crowded at all.  There is a pocket door that separates the bathroom from the bedroom.  I will show what we did for the bedroom in another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment