Saturday, September 29, 2012

Waldorf Salad with SweeTango Apples

Waldorf Salad with SweeTango Apples.
I was delighted to find SweeTango apples the other day at Whole Foods.  This relatively new variety of  apple is sweet and crunchy and  primarily an eating apple.  I used it in a delicious Waldorf Salad.  I can remember Waldorf Salad being popular back in the 50s,  but it was first created in NY City in 1893 by Oscar Tschirky at the Waldorf Astoria.

I discovered maple ginger yogurt by Dreaming Cow at Whole Foods and decided to substitute it for mayo in the dressing.  I heartily recommend this yogurt. 

Here's the recipe I used:

1/2 cup chopped, slightly toasted walnuts
1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced (I didn't have celery.)
1/2 cup red seedless grapes, sliced (or 1/4 cup raisins)
1 SweeTango apple, cored and diced
3 Tbsp mayo (I used maple ginger yogurt)
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Salt (I omitted this because we are trying a low sodium diet)
Pepper
Lettuce

Whisk together the 3 tbs of yogurt, lemon juice and fresh ground pepper to taste in a small bowl and set aside.

Mix the apple, grapes and walnuts with the dressing and serve on a bed of fresh lettuce.

Yield:  2 servings

SweeTango apple.



Core and dice the apple.




Add grapes.









Add walnuts, toss with dressing, and serve on bed of lettuce.

This is yummy and low in sodium and low in calories.




No comments:

Post a Comment