Saturday, April 4, 2020

Cleaning the Back Porch/Patio in Early April



To My Grands  
From Grandpat
Saturday, April 4, 2020

I’m trying to stay busy during the “stay at home” orders, because of the COVID, and I am certainly obeying orders.  As an 82-year-old I suppose I fall under the category ELDERLY, which makes me more susceptible than most to the virus.  You know our beloved long-time friend and biweekly housekeeper Bea has retired.  My friend, Boguska, who sometimes helps me is staying away per my request, so there are things I will have to do myself.  So be it. Now I have the time. 

With trees producing an unusually high amount of pollen this spring, the back porch and everything on it were covered in yellow. As you know our back porch is an open-air porch in a recessed area at the back door that is covered with a ceiling and the wide eave of the house. It is completely open to the outside. Every spring that porch needs a thorough cleaning! Rain early in the week washed away most of the pollen on the patio, but the porch remained covered in pollen. Since I prefer working outdoors to house cleaning indoors, I tackled the porch this week.
Cluttered back porch covered with pollen.
Move everything to the patio. 
Now isn't that spotless? That's Maggie's tail.

The weather prediction was for at least three sunny days with no rain.  That permitted me to transfer everything under the porch out on the patio so I would have three days to work on this project. How nice it would have been to have some or all of you helping.  I remember each of you helping around the yard from time to time when you were just young kids. Did I pay you? I can’t remember, but I always appreciated your help.
Open-air porch cleaned!!! Boguska and  I made each curtain from a painter's dropcloth some years ago, and should I have a backyard party, I can close them and hide things. The curtains need to be thrown in the washer.  On my bucket list. 
The area on the west of the patio where I stored the wood for the firepit which I no longer have, I also cleaned. I stored the tools where they belong. I gave all the wood away on Next Door Neighbor.  It was gone within 20 minutes of my posting. 
A messy pile of wood and tools on the west side of the back patio. 
Wood and tools gone. 
Tools stored like Dan would store them. 
The patio was next.  There were lots of male catkins from the Southern Red Oak in our backyard, so I swept and hosed that area off.  I also cleaned the Adirondack Chairs and put the bright green ones out in the side yard so I can sit under the dogwood tree there. Brunch under the umbrella is now possible since I've cleaned all the pollen off the table and chairs.
Oak catkins all over the back patio.  This is where much of the pollen came from. 
Chairs in my side yard where I can now sit under the dogwood tree. 

Table and chairs and umbrella up ready for an outside meal. I just noticed my outside speakers.  If I can remember how to turn them on to the stereo seat, I'll play some outside music, a little loud, and see if I get any response from my neighbors. 
I’ve attached a few pictures to show the before, after and a few of the steps in between.  Each day I devoted a couple or more thirty-minute sessions to the PROJECT!!!  Did I enjoy it?  Actually, I did and I think all the moving around has improved my balance.  I finished up today.  I estimate that I spent a total of 8 hours over the three day period.  Not bad for your 82-year-old Grandpat. I hope you will keep the photos so you can remember our backyard when you are old like me.  My grandmother had a lovely open-air front porch where I visited many, many times.  What I would give for a photo of that.  But I have a pretty clear memory in my mind of that porch. 

How I wish you could come to sit on the back porch with me now!!!  God willing you will be able to visit before it becomes covered with pollen again next season.  Love, love, love you, GrandPat

p.s. Dang, I worked hard!


No comments:

Post a Comment