Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Drawer Six,"A Piece of Cake" and a Beef Brisket Recipe


Drawer six with the foils and wraps and plastic bags nicely organized.
Drawer six where we keep our foil and wraps was "a piece of cake" to organize, because it wasn't that cluttered.  I did have some kitchen twine that belonged elsewhere.  I took everything out of the drawer and cleaned the drawer liner.
Drawer six before.

I decided to arrange the rolls along the depth of the drawer rather than across the width as before.   I discovered that gave me a little more room, and I can see all the rolls when I open the drawer.
Oven bags.

I had forgotten about these oven bags that were in the back of the drawer.   I bought them when I cooked a beef brisket using a favorite recipe from my cousin Joan.  We haven't had a brisket for some time, so I think I will prepare one this week.

I'll share the recipe with you.

Beef Brisket in an Oven Bag
1 3 to 4 lb. brisket without bone
salt/pepper
1 Tbs flour
3 medium carrots chopped
3 medium onions chopped
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes (or pureed tomatoes)
1/2 cup port wine or water
1 envelope onion soup mix (or part of one)
1 tsp dried basil
2 bay leaves

Trim fat from brisket and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Place flour in large oven cooking bag and shake.  Add brisket, place in roasting pan.  Combine remaining ingredients and pour over brisket.  Cut slits in top of bag, close bag and seal.

Cook in a 325 degree preheated oven for 2.5 to 3 hours.   Let rest for 15 minutes before slicing brisket. Slice brisket against the grain into thin slices. Serve with vegetables and natural gravy from the bag.

This recipe is easy, and the meat is so tender.  I'll serve this with mashed potatoes. 

Drawer Six organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment