Sunday, February 9, 2014

"The Beatles! Let's Bring Them On."


The Beatles on Ed Sullivan Show, February 9, 1964


"Now yesterday and today our theater's been jammed with newspapermen and hundreds of photographers from all over the nation, and these veterans agreed with me that this city never has witnessed the excitement stirred by these youngsters from Liverpool who call themselves The Beatles. Now tonight, you're gonna twice be entertained by them. Right now, and again in the second half of our show. Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles! Let's bring them on."---Ed Sullivan



In 1964 I was teaching science and math at Orange Junior High School in Hillsborough, NC.  All day that Friday the little girls in my 8th grade science class were chattering about "the beatles".  I had no idea what they were talking about---thought it was about insects.  When I asked they told me about this group that was going to be on the Ed Sullivan Show on that next Sunday night.  I told them I would watch.  I admit I was pretty much hooked from the beginning.  I'm still a loyal fan fifty years later.  I would love to touch base with some of those little students of mine who would now be about 62 or 63 years old.  Egads!!!!



Yes little eighth grade girls, you were right.  Great group.  And they have stood the test of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment