Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Best Seafood Chowder Ever


Seafood Chowder

It's not hyperbole for me to say that the other day I had the best seafood chowder I've ever had, even better than Dan's and his is hard to beat. Not only that but we discovered a wonderful new (to us) restaurant over in Whycocomagh, Cape Breton. Actually I learned that Charlene's Bayside Restaurant and Cafe has been there five years, and we are just now discovering it. Hey, better late than never.

Last Friday Dan and I took his cousin Mary over to Bayside for lunch.  We had been told that they are known for their seafood chowder, and now we are believers.

We had passed by this place many times during the last five years and never really noticed it.  The exterior is rather nondescript, but inside it's sunny and inviting.


The staff is friendly and one can see baking preparations going on in the kitchen.  Our friendly waiter is featured below as well as Michelle, Charlene's sister, who was using the biggest batter paddle I ever saw to whip up some baked goods.


Their desserts are well-known as well.  I rarely pass up a chance to have strawberry-rhubarb pie (see below), but Dan chose the butterscotch and I was able to have a taste of it after all.


We may have missed this place in the past five years, but we will be sure to make it a regular place to eat in the future when we are in Cape Breton.


1 comment:

  1. I’m sure you weren’t exaggerating when you said that it was the best seafood chowder ever – that thick and rick-looking soup is good proof of that. I’m glad you’ve discovered such a great place. Now you don’t have to miss any of their delectable dishes. Do you think you could recreate some of it at home?

    Chris Carpenter @ Domenico’s On the Wharf

    ReplyDelete