Sunday, August 19, 2018

Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Glacier Natrional Park

Old Faithful.  

After visiting the three canyons, our Vacations by Rail tour had a two-day stay in Salt Lake City, and then continued on our trip to see more National Parks in the Southwest.

Our first stop was Jackson Hole in Wyoming that I found a bit touristy but where I had a wonderful meal of bison.

This was good.
These guys are big.

On to Yellowstone where we had two more days of wondrous sights.
One of the many beautifully colored steam pools.  
Old Faithful.  
While in Yellowstone, I remembered stories my grandmother and father told about their trip out west in 1929 (I'm not sure what season it would have been) .  My grandparents, my father and his sister traveled out west for three months while their house was being rebuilt.  A fire had destroyed their house and my grandfather left his older son in charge of supervising the rebuilding of their house and the others set out in their Model A Ford to tour the Southwest.   Old Faithful was erupting with regularity this summer just as it was many years ago when my father visited it.

All of these parks are beautiful in their own way, and I kept thinking "Oh this is the prettiest place we've been!" every time we moved on to a new park. Grand Teton Park certainly did not disappoint.
Pat and Gail my traveling companions.

Grand Teton National Park. 
But maybe the tour was designed to save the best for last, Glacier National Park.  It was breathtaking and a bit scary for those of us who are more than a little acrophobic.  We rode the historic red buses that date back to the 1930s along the famous Going to the Sun Road. 
The historic red bus.  


Glacier National Park along the Going to the Sun Road.

What a trip!  I'd like to do it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment