Monday, October 20, 2014

Lentil Stew with Polenta

Lentil Stew with Polenta

I had some polenta in the fridge that I needed to use so I googled recipes and found this recipe from Whole Foods:
Ingredients: 
  • 1 1/2 cup brown lentils, picked over and rinsed (I used French lentils.)
  • 2 onions, sliced (I used only one large onion.)
  • 1 large green bell pepper, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes with juice
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (I omitted the salt.)
  • 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth (I used low sodium chicken stock.)
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 cup quick-cooking polenta      
I was happy to try this because it could be cooked in the slow cooker overnight and ready for lunch the next day.  

Method: 
Layer lentils, onions, bell pepper and garlic in the bottom of a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Halve the plum tomatoes and add them to the cooker along with all their juices. Sprinkle with oregano, chile flakes and salt. Pour in broth and vinegar, cover and cook on low until lentils are very tender, about 7 hours.
Prepare the polenta according to package directions and serve with the stew.

Put rinsed lentils in bottom of slow cooker. 
Add green pepper, onions and garlic.
Add tomatoes, oregano, chile, and balsamic vinegar.  Add broth.
I cooked it overnight on low power.
Ready in the morning after cooking all night. (about 7 hours)
I cut the polenta into slices and fried it in a bit of olive oil until golden brown.
Add polenta to plate.



Ready to eat.  
Place the polenta on plate and cover with the lentil stew. I liked this because it could cook overnight and takes only a few minutes to put ingredients into crock pot.  
 
Check out this website 

No comments:

Post a Comment